Skip to Content

Are Moonflowers Poisonous? (All You Need to Know)

Sharing is caring!

Moonflower is the most appropriate example for the saying ‘Looks can be deceiving’. Because while they are pure white, innocuous looking flowers; people who had the misfortune of encountering them have a completely opposite perception of them.

Are moonflowers poisonous?

Moonflowers are poisonous for humans and also highly toxic for a lot of animals. Every part of this flowering plant, from the blossom to the seed has the potential to cause severe damage to human and animal health if ingested. The symptoms will start within an hour and will get progressively worse.

Naturally, the symptoms will differ between humans and animals. And not all animals will react the same way. Therefore, to get a better idea, it is best to look at the effects of moon flowers on individual groups of animals, humans and also plants.


Moonflowers are poisonous for cats. And according to many vets and cat owners, it apparently affects domesticated cats more than wild cats.

Therefore, it would be wise to keep cats away from this plant, especially if they have a habit of chewing or eating plants.


Despite being such a beautiful flower, the poison in moonflower could put an end to the life of a dog if it chews or eats the flower.

Rush them to the vet immediately if that occurs. The vet will give them either hydrogen peroxide solution or ipecac in syrup form which will induce vomiting and help flush out as much poison as possible.


Moonflowers are as poisonous for humans as it is for animals. The reaction is within an hour or so.

The moonflower will cause agitation, confusion and hallucinations if ingested by a person. If this isn’t treated right away, moonflowers can cause seizures and comas as well.


The poison present in moonflowers can do significant damage to a horse’s body. Horses will only try to eat moonflowers if the pastures are overgrazed and there is a scarcity for food.

Eating moonflowers will cause the horse to produce excess amounts of salvia followed by diarrhea and colic.

Some signs that will allow you to identify if they have been poisoned is if they are restless, unsteady on their feet and keep pressing their head more than usual.


Wild rabbits and pet rabbits can both get poisoned if they consume any part of the moonflower plant. If this happens by any chance, it is best to take them to the vet because eating moonflowers or it’s leaves can lead to their demise.

But the good news is, rabbits usually stay away from moonflowers and it is unlikely they will nibble on moonflower blossoms or leaves.


Moonflowers are highly poisonous for cows. Every part of the plant can cause harm to the cow.

If a cow mistakenly grazes the moonflower bushes, it will begin to go through from breathing problems and if it doesn’t receive any medical care during that time, the breathing failure can cause the cow to lose it’s life.


Chicken like a lot of other birds and animals are not safe from moonflowers as each part of the plant contains enough poison to cause internal organ failure and breathing failure.

But chickens don’t usually eat the flowers or leaves of the moonflower plant, but the seeds will no doubt peak their interest and unfortunately this is the most poisonous part of them.

Hence, it would be a great idea to get rid of any nearby moonflowers if you want to protect your chickens.


Sheep should not chew or eat moonflower, as it contains poison that is highly lethal and causes extensive damage to sheep if ingested.

It is best to get rid of any moonflowers that might be located near the pastures where sheep graze.

But if by some chance they still manage to find and eat moonflowers some signs that will help you identify this is, if they begin to distances themselves from the flock, seem confused, have difficulty breathing or begin to drink excess amounts of water.


It is unknown whether moonflowers can poison any plants near them or not. However, plants like roses, star jasmine, lamb’s ear are recommended to plant near moonflowers for aesthetic purposes by gardeners.

This means they are not poisonous to these particular plants but it is still vague whether they are poisonous to other plant families or not.


Hummingbirds are attracted to moonflowers but it is unlikely they will eat them which keeps them from being poisoned.

Moonflowers attract moths with their beautiful white blossoms and hummingbirds follow to catch and eat the moths but do not eat any parts of the moonflower.


Moonflowers can poison deers quite easily because of how poisonous each part of the plant is. But thankfully this flowering plant is deer-resistant. The smell this plant emits repels deers and causes them to steer clear of these plants.


Goats, like sheep, can be poisoned by moonflowers. And goats will eat just about anything. So, to keep them safe, it is essential to do a thorough sweep of the pasture they graze in and get rid of the moonflowers.

Are moonflowers poisonous to touch?

Moonflowers are not poisonous to touch. Since every part of the plant contains levels of poison high enough to cause seizure and comas; people are quite skeptical and fearful of this plant. But it is incorrect that touching this plant will poison a person.

Many gardeners plant these flowering plants but handling them does not cause any problem. However, it is always best to thoroughly clean hands with soap and water after touching any part of the moonflower.

How toxic are moonflowers? Can moonflowers make you high?

Moonflowers are a highly poisonous plant to both humans and animals. They contain compounds such as atropine and scopolamine which can be poisonous for the human body if ingested.

This is why many health experts warn people not to ingest them directly or drink them by adding them in teas.

Moonflowers can cause intense hallucination when ingested which makes them a cheap and popular method to get high.

But doctors tell people not to use moonflowers for recreational purposes because the symptoms will start from blurred vision and increased heart rate but can end in the heart stopping completely.

What happens when you touch moonflowers? Moonflower poisoning symptoms

There can be multiple symptoms for ingesting moonflower. Lets get to know them.


Some initial symptoms of moonflower poisoning include feelings of confusion, agitation, anxiety and hallucinations.

Increased blood pressure:

The first symptoms will be accompanied with increased heart rate and blood pressure, blurred vision, thirst, flushed face, dry and tight skin.

Hypothermia, urinary retention:

Some additional symptoms which will be noticeable later on are hypothermia, urinary retention and decreased gut motility.


If the person does not receive medical care soon, it might lead to seizure or coma.

What parts of moonflower plants are poisonous?

Different parts of the moonflower is poisonous. Let’s get to know them.

Moonflower vines:

Moonflower vines contain compounds that are poisonous if ingested in large quantities by humans and animals. The only animals who are likely going to eat moonflower vines are cows, sheep and goats.

Moonflower seeds:

Moonflower seeds might easily be the most poisonous part of the moonflower plant.

Humans should not consume them at any costs and also it is best to keep them out of reach of chickens or birds as they like to munch on seeds and nuts a lot.

Moonflower blossom:

Moonflower blossom, like the other part of the plant, can cause poisoning. And many people choose it for recreational purposes. This is a tremendously dangerous practice.

How to treat moonflower poisoning?

If you or someone close to you have ingested moonflower and it has resulted in poisoning, these are some steps you can follow to treat it.

Identify symptoms:

Firstly, it is pertinent to stay calm and try to identify the symptoms. This will make it easier to treat it.

Use benzodiazepine:

If you are only experiencing agitation, then it can be treated with the help of benzodiazepine. But if you still continue to feel the effects of the moonflower, then use activated charcoal. This will assist in draining out the drugs from your system. However, in severe cases a drug called physostigmine will need to be used to help recover from moonflower poisoning. This works so well because it is an antidote which specifically combats anticholinergic poisoning.

Contact a doctor:

Lastly, although all these steps are tried and tested methods, if the patient’s condition isn’t getting better, then it is best to take them to the emergency room.

Final thoughts:

Moonflower plants contain high levels of poison. But touching them is not poisonous. This plant can only poison a human or animal if it is ingested, whether directly or in the form of tea. The poison is strong enough to cause breathing failure in both humans and animals.

Sharing is caring!