Skip to Content

Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs? (Explained for Owners!)

Sharing is caring!

Money trees are one of the most common house plants as they are very easy to grow indoors and flourish with minimal care. They only need occasional watering and minimal sunlight and in return, these plants enhance the beauty of your home by manifolds.

But there are still many speculations around these plants. As they commonly grow indoors, homeowners, especially those with pets, are often concerned whether these plants are toxic to the dogs.

In this article, we will break down whether money trees are toxic to dogs and other pets.

Are money trees toxic to dogs?

Money trees are only mildly toxic to dogs. They will not cause any major harm to your dogs but these plants can upset your dog’s stomach if they ingest them. Pets and children are drawn to the leaves of houseplants and often end up eating them. It’d be best to keep your dogs away from money trees.

Money trees are not very toxic to dogs. But they can cause mild issues if your dog ends up eating the leaves of money trees in your house. Most dogs are allergic to the toxins present in the leaves of money plants.

This may cause them to have an upset stomach for a few days. Your dog may even end up vomiting a few times if they ingest the leaves of money trees. So you should be careful if you have a money tree in your house.

Dogs and kids are naturally drawn to the houseplants, with no fault of their own. They are naturally very curious and are eager to find out more about the houseplants. And money trees are very common house plants.

These plants are beautiful and need very little maintenance. They grow very well, even with infrequent watering and low levels of sunlight. The money trees grow very fast as well, soon enhancing the beauty of your sitting room and bedrooms.

But if you have pets and children in your house, make sure that they cannot access the plants. If they ingest the leaves of money trees, they may have an upset stomach for a couple of days.

Are money tree leaves poisonous?

Money tree leaves are poisonous, but only mildly. The money plant trees are mildly poisonous to pets and children in the house. But rest assured that they do not have any severe impact on the pets or children.

Pets and children are naturally curious, and they are often drawn to the houseplants. They sometimes end up ingesting the leaves of money trees.

When pets ingest money trees leaves, they experience mild issues. For example, your pets may experience vomiting, upset stomach and so on when they ingest money plants.

And as for children and human, they will experience similar effects. Human may also have a swollen face, throat, and tongue. In addition, when children ingest money tree leaves, they will also experience loose motion and vomiting.

What happens if a dog eats money tree plants?

If a dog eats money tree plants, they will experience mild reactions. The money plant leaves are mildly toxic and when ingested by dogs, they will cause some mild effects. Dogs will have an upset stomach for a couple of days after eating the leaves.

In addition, your dog may start to vomit after eating money tree leaves. They might also have swollen face and tongue after ingesting the leaves.

Different types of money trees and their toxicity:

There are many different kinds of money trees. And each of them has a different level of toxicity. So you should know about different types of money trees and their toxicity level before bringing them into your house, especially if you have pets and children in the house.

Chinese money tree:

Chinese money tree is one of the most common type of money trees. These plants are so easy to grow that they make wonderful trees for beginners. Anyone can grow these plants with minimal care.

These plants do not need very frequent watering. You can grow them well even with very little maintenance.

And the best part is that, you can remain absolutely tension free when you bring these plants home as they are not toxic to dogs, cats, or children.

They do not harm pets and children even if they ingest the leaves. These plants are safe to be kept at home. They improve the air quality of the house and enhance the beauty when they grow. 

Pachira money tree:

Pachira money tree is another commonly grown houseplant.

These money trees grow in abundance in the central and south american swamps and make wonderful houseplants. In the swamps, they can grow as tall as 60 feet.

They also grow wonderfully indoors. With very little care, these plants can grow quite tall and leafy, even indoors. You do not even need to water them very frequently. They can grow well even in the shades of indoors.

Pachira plants are mildly toxic for your children and pets. You should make sure that your children and pets do not end up chewing on the leaves of pachira plants.

They may experience mild reactions when they ingest the leaves of these plants.

Pothos money plants:

Pothos is another fast growing houseplant. You can even train these money plants to climb up or down a wall.

They can gracefully drape your entire home, walls, and gates with beautiful green leaves. Their green leaves have random white streaks in their body which further enhances their beauty.

Pothos money plants are somewhat toxic to dogs as well. They will cause stomach issues, vomiting, and swollen mouth and tongue for dogs.

But these symptoms mostly show up when your dog ends up eating the leaves or chews on them.

So discourage your dog to chew on the pothos money plant. If possible, prevent them from going near the plants.

Discourage any other pets that you might have from going near the pothos plants because if they chew on its leaves, they might be affected as well.

How do I keep my dog away from my money tree?

Since dogs experience a mild reaction when they eat money trees, you should be careful and keep your dog away from a money tree. Here’s what you can do about it: 

Teach your dog boundaries early on:

If you train your dog and teach them about boundaries while they are young, then they will abide by it and will not eat your money trees.

Teaching your dog boundaries: where they can go and cannot go, is very important. And the sooner you teach them this, the better.

Keep the plants out of reach:

If your dog does not follow your restrictions, then you will have to take the plant out of your dog’s reach.

There are many money trees that can be trained to climb up. Get one of those trees and take the plant out of the reach of your dog to keep your dog away from your money tree.

Use a repellent on the tree:

If nothing else works, you can always use a repellent on the tree to keep your dog away from your money tree. You will find many commercial-grade pet repellent for plants on retail stores that can help you.

Rest assured that these repellents are harmless for the plants. You will not cause any damage to the plant while trying to keep your dog away from the plant.

EverJoice Dog Not Here Spray, Training Your Dog Where Not to Urinate, Repellent & Training Corrector Pets Chew Deterrent, Indoor & Outdoor Use, No More Marking Disturb Or Destroy

Is money tree safe for others pets?

So we now know that money trees are mildly toxic to dogs. Now let’s find out if money trees are safe for other pets:


Money trees are not toxic for cats, even if they eat the leaves. However, the leaves may cause stomach upset for cats, and it may last for a couple of days.


Money trees are not toxic to rabbits. Your bunny friend loves to chew on leaves, and you don’t have a reason to prevent them from occasionally chewing on the money tree leaves. They do not harm rabbits.


There are no evidence that money trees are toxic for reptiles. They are not known to harm reptiles in any way.


Money trees are safe for chameleons. That is, they will not have any bad experience from chewing on the leaves or brunches of money plants.

However, chameleons will not be able to live on the branches of money trees as they are not strong enough to carry or support them.

Final thoughts

Money trees are just mildly toxic to dogs. They cause only some mild issues when your dog ends up chewing on or eating the leaves of money trees. Dogs are known to have upset stomach, vomiting tendencies, and sometimes swollen tongue and mouth if they eat the leaves of money trees.   

Sharing is caring!